• By: ICS Legal
  • January 20, 2019

1: Overview 2: Type of Licence
3: Eligibility 4: Sponsorship Management Roles
5: Apply for your Licence 6: Your Licence Rating
7: Sponsorship Certificates 8: Job Suitability
9: Your Responsibilities

You must:

  • check that your foreign workers have the necessary skills, qualifications or professional accreditations to do their jobs, and keep copies of documents showing this
  • only assign certificates of sponsorship to workers when the job is suitable for sponsorship
  • tell UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) if your sponsored workers are not complying with the conditions of their visa

Your license may be downgraded, suspended or withdrawn if you don’t meet them.

Read the full guidance on sponsor requirements and duties and not employing workers illegally.

Monitoring employees

You must have HR systems in place that let you:

  • monitor your employees’ immigration status
  • keep copies of relevant documents for each employee, including passport and right to work information
  • track and record employees’ attendance
  • keep employee contact details up to date
  • report to UKVI if there is a problem, eg your employee stops coming to work

Changes to your business

You must report any significant changes in your own circumstances within 20 working days, for example, if you:

  • stop trading or become insolvent
  • substantially change the nature of your business
  • are involved in a merger or take-over

You must also tell UKVI if you’re changing your details, like your address or allocated roles.

To register a change of circumstances use the sponsorship management system (SMS).

Requests can take up to 18 weeks. While you’re making your request you can choose to pay £200 to use the premium service which takes up to 5 working days.

Sponsoring under-18s

You must make sure that foreign workers under 18 have suitable care arrangements for their:

  • travel to the UK
  • arrival in the UK
  • living arrangements in the UK

You must also get a letter from their parents giving consent to the care arrangements.

You must get a Disclosure and Barring Service to check on any of your workers who need it.

You’ll lose your license if you don’t do this.

Children under 16

You must get a license from the local education authority in the area where the child will work.

Posted on: 8th December 2016, by – ICS_shajjad