• By: ICS Legal
  • January 21, 2019

1: Overview 2: Type of Licence
3: Eligibility 4: Sponsorship Management Roles
5: Apply for your Licence 6: Your Licence Rating
7: Sponsorship Certificates 8: Job Suitability
9: Your Responsibilities

You need a certificate of sponsorship for each foreign worker you employ. This is an electronic record, not a physical document. Each certificate has its own number which a worker can use to apply for a visa.

Certificates must be used within 3 months from when they’re issued.

Unrestricted certificates

When you apply for your license you’ll be asked to estimate how many Tier 2 and Tier 5 certificates you’ll need. These are called unrestricted certificates because there’s no limit on how many you can get.

Restricted certificates

These are for:

  • Tier 2 (General) workers currently abroad who’ll be paid less than £155,300 a year
  • family members (dependants) of Tier 4 migrants

You must apply for restricted certificates for these workers through the sponsorship management system (SMS). You’ll get access to this when you get your license.

There’s a limited number of restricted certificates available each month. Each application is assessed using a points system – you can see how the system works in the Immigration Rules appendix A.

When you get the certificate

Applications are considered on the first working day after the 10th day of the month. This is called the ‘allocation date’. If you apply after the 5th day of the month then your application will be held until the next month’s allocation date.

Your application may also be held until the next month’s allocation date so that the details of your application can be checked.

Your restricted certificate will appear in your SMS account on the allocation date if your application has been approved. You can apply again if your application isn’t approved.

Urgent applications

A restricted certificate can be issued before the next allocation date in exceptional circumstances. This doesn’t include applications which have been delayed for reasons which you could have avoided.

Use your SMS account to make the application and then email Tier2Limits@ukba.gsi.gov.uk explaining why it’s urgent.

Certificate costs

You need to pay for each certificate of sponsorship. Certificates are free for citizens of Croatia, Macedonia, and Turkey.

Type of certificate Cost per certificate
Tier 2 £199
Tier 4 £21
Tier 5 £21

Posted on: 8th December 2016, by – ICS_shajjad